A valuable gift which benefits all involved
Meet New People
Enjoy a New Challenge
Receive a Warm Welcome
Contribute to your Local Community
Supervision and Support
Sally-Anne Notley (Volunteer coordinator)
Holt Park District Centre
Tel: (0113) 261 9103
Volunteering Opportunities Available:
1) Befrienders: We need people who are good at listening, patient, and like people. Befriending involves visiting someone in their own home, and spending an hour with them each week. People who are befriended are often quite lonely and isolated, and visits from befrienders can brighten up their whole week. So come and join us, and help improve someone’s life by just being there.
2) Visiting Service: Some people need occasional support at difficult times in their life. We are looking for people who can offer a listening ear and support. This can involve visiting different people rather than one person on a regular basis. If you can offer an hour a week or a minimum of an hour per month come along and join our team of visitors.
3) Sitters: Many older people are caring for a spouse or family member. OPAL has a monthly Carer’s Support Group offering carers a much needed break. Unfortunately carers are not always in a position to attend and find it difficult to have time to themselves as they can’t leave the person they care for. Can you spare two hours a month to give a carer a much needed break?
4) Car Drivers: Can you drive? Do you have some spare time? Help provide transport to social events and appointments. Driver opportunities vary from providing transport on an ad hoc basis to a regular commitment to weekly activities. Applicants should be car owners, with a full driving license, in good health and be prepared to transport clients in their own car.
5) General Opportunities: OPAL offers trips and various activities at which volunteers assist people in wheelchairs or with mobility problems. Volunteers also help with making tea and coffees at various events. Contact us to get involved - you can give as much or as little time as you like.
6) Publicity and Marketing: We need somebody who has experience in using publisher and would be interested in helping us keep our leaflets and posters up to date. There is also an opportunity for a computer literate person to help OPAL establish a presence online via social media sites.
7) Offer Something New: We are always keen to hear new ideas and gain new skills. Volunteers with OPAL offer massage sessions, run tea dances, teach computer skills and fundraise.
Here is a copy of the volunteer application form which can be downloaded, filled in and emailed to Sally-Anne above. Alternatively a copy can be printed off and posted to the address below:-
Volunteer Application Form.doc